Current Version: 2.3.1
*) The portable version contains everything in the installer version except the demo videos (but you can easily watch them from the web) plus the files autorun.inf and Run_InstantCrypt.exe, which are useful for running InstantCrypt from a USB stick.
**) Do not use this portable version to update a previous version as you could easily overwrite old user files - and you'll lose valuable information! Use Portable Update Only instead.
Size on disk: The installer version uses about 30 MB, the portable version 5 MB on disk (the difference is due to the demo files); the size grows over time when more and more encrypted and decrypted messages and files are stored in the InstantCrypt directory.
I: How To Download
- Click on button.
- When you get a window, asking you if you want
to open the file or to save it, click on save. (You may actually not be
able to open the file before having saved it.)
- Your browser will ask you where you want to
save it, unless you have a folder preassigned.
II: How To Install
- Doubleclick on the downloaded file.
- Follow the instructions. It is not different from any other software
installations you may have done; you will be guided throught the
- Start by using the shotcuts created by the Installer. If you did not
create any: Open the newly created folder (doubleclick on it). Start
InstantCrypt by doubleclicking on Start_InstantCrypt.exe. If you see a
warning; click on "run" (possibly twice).
For a video demo on installation and first steps
(version 2.3), see here at Softoxi.
- Install on a USB stick:
Unpack ("extract") the downloaded file directly into the root directory
(main directory) of your USB stick. Start: oubleclicking on
- Install not on a USB stick:
- Unpack: You only need the folder "InstantCrypt" that is contained in
the downloaded file Portable_Intantcrypt. Open the downloaded zip file
(doubleclick) and copy-paste the folder InstantCrypt into a directory
of your choice.
- Start: Open the newly created folder (doubleclick on it). Start
InstantCrypt by doubleclicking on Start_InstantCrypt.exe. You may see a
warning (possibly twice); click on "run".
- How to unpack ("extract"):
- RightClick on the file, chose "Extract All", and follow
- Should there be any problems, you can get an unzipper here: http://www.7-zip.org/
III. How To Update
From Version 2.x, 3.x:
Download installer. Install again into same directory as previous version.
previous *.zip and USB versions): Download Portable Update. Unpack into a
different folder than existing program. Replace the file "InstantCrypt.exe" of
your previous installation (in folder WinUIWS) with the new "InstantCrypt.exe"
and the old gpg.exe (in folder GPG) with the new GPG. (You may want to rename
the old versions before replacing it, just in case!)
(You cannot update
from the versions 0.9.x. Keep it and use the new version from now on.)
Secure e-mail with OpenPGP encryption